We are hiring - Planning Manager
Updated: Dec 23, 2021
INTRODUCTION TO CRAFT
Craft Media London launched in 2018 with the intention of filling the strategic hole that exists between media and creative agencies. We focus solely on communication strategy plugging into the planning teams at creative agencies or clients directly to help determine exactly what comms needs to do in order to meet business objectives. We had noticed (and don’t tell them this….) that creative agency planning wasn’t business rigorous enough so ideas were just that, ideas. And media agencies were overly focused on the commercial numbers which resulted in bland planning with no creative leap. So, we sit in the middle, acting as an interpreter and ensuring that we deliver campaigns that are both effective and efficient.
We are a small specialist strategic agency. This is important as it means that we can get to the answer faster than most agency teams, It means that we don’t have to send a squad of people to a meeting each with their own areas of expertise. We can give you an immediate point of view based on years of experience rather than waiting for a piece of analysis to be done. It also means that we absolutely know our stuff. We have a reputation as the Crafty team who get to grips with complicated comms challenges, give creative agencies an opportunity to create great and different work and who play nicely alongside every partner. If media buying was needed we have a relationship with all the independent agencies (and some of the networks) which we partner with to provide this specialist. Craft provides the strategic direction and planning and we help clients identify the right agency for them and they would focus on delivery/buying.
The CRAFT Founders
Jen is the co-founder of Craft. She has over 25 years’ experience in media agencies in London and globally, including Mindshare, PHD, Maxus and Wavemaker. During her career, she has been nominated for and won various Media Week and Campaign awards and has been named one of Campaign’s Top 10 Planners in the UK for the last 5 years. She is a regular speaker at industry events and is never short of a point of view on the world of comms.
The CRAFT Founders:
Sally is the co-founder of Craft. She has over 30 years’ experience in the industry and has worked for agencies covering the full range of communication disciplines: creative (JWT/WCRS), brand (Branded) and media (Vizeum, UM, Initiative). Sally is a member of WACL: a network of the most senior women in the communications industry, sits on the Facebook Client Council, is a long-term tutor for the Ad Association’s Media Business Course, a Campaign Top 10 planner and a regular judge on industry awards panels. Her career highlights include launching the new MINI for BMW, rattling the directory enquiries market with 118 118, helping Tesco through some significant challenges and bringing Amazon Alexa to the UK.
Small But Mighty
We are small but have already started to make our mark, working with start ups like Skin & Me and Huel, through to established brands which needed some strategic love – like The BodyShop, Beats, The Gym Group & St Johns Ambulance through to the biggest brands on the globe – Apple, Amazon & Brewdog
We never know what the next brief might be….
The role of the Planning Manager is twofold:
- They are a key part of the client and account team: it is their responsibility to make sure that day-to-day client and agency partner work is running smoothly
- They are a key part of the media planning team: they work alongside the Strategist and/or Planning Director to translate brilliant strategy into brilliant and effective media plans.
- We want you to have a high level of enthusiasm, you should care about the business and want to make a difference.
- You need to be adaptable and can think on your feet.
- You actively contribute (to a process, a meeting, ideas etc.)
- You can mentor junior team members
- You are a do-er and love to get involved
We want to do work that makes others jealous, which means we need to do thing that they can’t or won’t.
And we need to do it with style.
- Ability to build and maintain positive client and agency relationships at a mid-level.
- The main day-to-day contact for agency partners - keeping work and responses on brief and to time
- Day-to-day client contact including organising and contributing to status calls, timelines and coordination of in-campaign and post-campaign actions.
- Responsible for the briefing and media planning planning process with agency partners and the development of plans
- Are the central point of contact for client comms, and coordination of in-campaign
- and post-campaign actions.
- Lead the post campaign analysis process
- You should have good media planning experience with sound knowledge of most (if not all) media touchpoints.
- Have outstanding organisational skills to keep client work, and agency partners ‘on track’.
- Can translate media ideas into compelling slides with minimal input from colleagues to make it ‘client ready’.
- Has a good understanding of campaign evaluation knowing how to set and measure against both media KPIs
- Has experience with qualitative and quantitative media tools e.g Addynamix, TGI and can analyse what research finds may mean for a client’s business.
Measure of Success
This role will be judged against the specific delivery of the outlined tasks
By 360 degree feedback from key client personnel
From 360 degree feedback from Craft
From 360 degree feedback from Media Agency key contacts.
Area of special Interest
All members of Craft are going to take on a special interest with the media landscape.
You should endeavour to build relationships with the key media owners, to be kept abreast of new developments and technology.
You should contact trade bodies and work closely with our media buyers to ensure we fully understand the media planning tools and systems that are used.
We should look for new ways to leverage insights from your specialist area and apply it to our work
If there are training courses, or conferences you would like to attend you can apply for funding
You should spread your knowledge around the wider craft team
You should champion the sharing of knowledge in your area across Slack and also the Google Drives
As a stretch target you are also tasked with identifying a Craft campaign which could be entered into your category sector awards.
● Send CV & note summarising why you would like to work at Craft to Jen@Craftmedia.london
● Shortlist invited to have a 30 min chat with one of the strategy Partners
● Shortlist will be given a short brief to demonstrating your thinking style
● Present to Founders
● Final Selection
It is important we find the right person for this role so are not putting time pressure on needing this to be filled by a date.
We would rather give ourselves time to find the right person
Salary Bracket & Benefits
This Role would be offered between £25-40k depending on experience
You would be eligible for the Craft Pension, BUPA health cover, Life Insurance and the Company bonus scheme, (Gym & Health benefits coming in Q1)
We are open to considering this as a flexible role.
We expect this to be a hybrid role between home & our office based on Tottenham Court Road.
We actively encourage the application from those from diverse backgrounds