INTRODUCTION TO CRAFT
Craft Media London launched in 2018 with the intention of filling the strategic hole that exists between media and creative agencies. We focus solely on communication strategy plugging into the planning teams at creative agencies or clients directly to help determine exactly what comms needs to do in order to meet business objectives. We had noticed (and don’t tell them this….) that creative agency planning wasn’t business rigorous enough so ideas were just that, ideas. And media agencies were overly focused on the commercial numbers which resulted in bland planning with no creative leap. So, we sit in the middle, acting as an interpreter and ensuring that we deliver campaigns that are both effective and efficient.
We are a small specialist strategic agency. This is important as it means that we can get to the answer faster than most agency teams, It means that we don’t have to send a squad of people to a meeting each with their own areas of expertise. We can give you an immediate point of view based on years of experience rather than waiting for a piece of analysis to be done. It also means that we absolutely know our stuff. We have a reputation as the Crafty team who get to grips with complicated comms challenges, give creative agencies an opportunity to create great and different work and who play nicely alongside every partner.
If media buying was needed we have a relationship with all the independent agencies (and some of the networks) which we partner with to provide this specialist.
Craft provides the strategic direction and planning and we help clients identify the right agency for them and they would focus on delivery/buying.
The CRAFT Founders
Jen is the co-founder of Craft. She has over 25 years’ experience in media agencies in London and globally, including Mindshare, PHD, Maxus and Wavemaker.
During her career, she has been nominated for and won various Media Week and Campaign awards and has been named one of Campaign’s Top 10 Planners in the UK for the last 5 years. She is a regular speaker at industry events and is never short of a point of view on the world of comms.
She regularly judges at industry events including Cannes Media Lions, Campaign & Media Week awards, D&AD, APG & YouTube Effectiveness.
The CRAFT Founders:
Sally is the co-founder of Craft. She has over 30 years’ experience in the industry and has worked for agencies covering the full range of communication disciplines: creative (JWT/WCRS), brand (Branded) and media (Vizeum, UM, Initiative). Sally is a member of WACL: a network of the most senior women in the communications industry, sits on the Facebook Client Council, is a long-term tutor for the Ad Association’s Media Business Course, a Campaign Top 10 planner and a regular judge on industry awards panels. Her career highlights include launching the new MINI for BMW, rattling the directory enquiries market with 118 118, helping Tesco through some significant challenges and bringing Amazon Alexa to the UK.
Small But Mighty
We are small but have already started to make our mark, working with start ups like Skin & Me and Huel, through to established brands which needed some strategic love – like The BodyShop, Beats, The Gym Group & St Johns Ambulance through to the biggest brands on the globe – Apple, Amazon & Brewdog
We never know what the next brief might be….
The role of the Planning Director is two fold:
● They are the client and account lead: it is their responsibility to ensure that we are servicing our clients brilliantly and that we have positive and productive relationships with our agency partners
● They are the media planning lead: they work alongside the Strategist or independently to ensure that brilliant strategy culminates in brilliant and effective media plans.
You should have a strong planning background with the ability to translate a communications strategy into a media planning recommendation, considering best formats, weighting, flighting and activation tactics to deliver against core objectives of a campaign.
You should have a solid understanding of all media touchpoints and be able to define the tasks for media and content, develop channel roles and investment priorities based around tasks.
You can create a good, well thought through deck which requires minimal input from colleagues to make it ‘client ready’.
You have strong understanding of campaign evaluation knowing how to set and measure against both media, brand and business KPIs
You have experience with qualitative and quantitative media tools e.g Google Analytics, Addynamix, TGI
We want to do work that makes others jealous, which means we need to do thing that they can’t or won’t.
And we need to do it with style.
Support the Business Director and Strategist in delivering the best-in-class media solutions for our clients
● You should have a high level of enthusiasm; they care about the business and want to make a difference.
● You should be adaptable, can think on your feet and wing it if they need to. (we all need to sometimes)
● We would like you to lead with confidence (a process, a meeting, an agency partner etc.)
● Relationships are paramount to this role, and you should find joy in your ability to build and maintain client and agency relationships at a mid-senior level.
● We are a team; within this role it is important to take responsibility for caring about the full team workflow - keeping strategists to time and account work moving
● The perfect candidate take responsibility and owns and manages the RTB being responsible for all media planning and plans
● You should be the central point of contact for client comms, and coordination of in-campaign and post-campaign actions.
● Your role will include briefing and managing agency partners – building great relationships to ensure our work is exceptional from strategy into execution
● You should be comfortable thinking beyond Paid media – you can take a view upon owned and earned channels
● Ensuring effectiveness (e.g. econometrics and brand-health modelling) is appropriately embedded/recommended for our work
Measure of Success
This role will be judged against the specific delivery of the outlined tasks
By 360 degree feedback from key client personnel
From 360 degree feedback from Craft
From 360 degree feedback from Media Agency key contacts.
Area of special Interest
All members of Craft are going to take on a special interest with the media landscape.
You should endeavour to build relationships with the key media owners, to be kept abreast of new developments and technology.
You should contact trade bodies and work closely with our media buyers to ensure we fully understand the media planning tools and systems that are used.
We should look for new ways to leverage insights from your specialist area and apply it to our work
If there are training courses, or conferences you would like to attend you can apply for funding
You should spread your knowledge around the wider craft team
You should champion the sharing of knowledge in your area across Slack and also the Google Drives
As a stretch target you are also tasked with identifying a Craft campaign which could be entered into your category sector awards.
● Send CV & note summarising why you would like to work at Craft to Jen@Craftmedia.London
● Shortlist invited to have a 30 min chat with one of the strategy Partners
● Shortlist will be given a short brief to demonstrating your thinking style
● Present to Founders
● Final Selection
It is important we find the right person for this role so are not putting time pressure on needing this to be filled by a date.
We would rather give ourselves time to find the right person
Salary Bracket & Benefits
This Role would be offered between £40-60k depending on experience
You would be eligible for the Craft Pension, BUPA health cover, Life Insurance and the Company bonus scheme, (Gym & Health benefits coming in Q1)
We are open to considering this as a flexible role.
We expect this to be a hybrid role between home & our office based on Tottenham Court Road.
We actively encourage the application from those from diverse backgrounds